Strategies in 2014-2016
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
Based on the learning points from the programme executed in the last three years IWRAW Asia Pacific has developed a new three year strategic programme on CEDAW. The overarching goal or impact we seek is to eliminate discrimination against women, and realise women’s human rights & social justice using CEDAW. IWRAW Asia Pacific has identified several key areas for its organisational programme of work to directly engage and address these issues focused on key drivers of transformative social change i.e. engendering the legal framework for human rights, strengthening the capacity of state institutions to implement CEDAW and innovating and sharpening the analysis and advocacy of women’s rights organisations.
Four key strategic areas were identified through the Strategic Planning process in 2011 and 2013.
• Build capacity of country level/national institutions for promotion and protection of women’s human rights and to implement CEDAW Concluding Observations.
• Strengthen knowledge and skills of civil society actors and our partners to engage with private actors and corporate sector towards ensuring greater compliance with women’s human rights
• Develop innovative methods, tools and resources for effective and sustained advocacy for social change and gender justice especially in critical and new contexts which challenge women’s human rights.
• Promote gender equality and gender perspective in all global, and regional development policy processes and human rights standard setting processes.
Four main outcomes were identified for 2014-2016:
1. Strengthened application of CEDAW and WHR standards through a broader actor base at national levels
2. Enhanced access to an expanding knowledge base and advocacy strategies on critical and emerging issues in women’s human rights amongst global actors
3. Global and regional policy and standard setting processes are supportive of women’s human rights or use a gender equality approach
4. Increased private sector sensitivity towards benefits of gender equality approach
IWRAW Asia Pacific continues to work with its country level partners and with regional and international NGOs in the pursuance of these strategies.